We look back on last years draft picks and how they performed in their rookie season.
1) Deshaun Watson – TEXANS played 7 games. First rookie to pass for at least four touchdowns and rush for one touchdown in a game since Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton did so for the Minnesota Vikings in 1961. Week 4 loss to KC 42-34. finished 16-of-31 for 261 yards and 5 touchdown passes, tying an NFL rookie record for touchdown passes thrown in a single game. Out right knee ACL in practice. QB passer rating 103 FINISHES 19 in our 14 week Yahoo league
2) Deshone Kizer – BROWNS played 15 games. Season finale against the Steelers in Week 17, Kizer finished with a season-high 314 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and an interception as the Browns lost 24–28. **Had a 0% QB rating outside the pocket, considering that a quarterback who simply throws the ball into the ground right after the snap earns a QB rating of 39.6, it demonstrates lack of ability when the play breaks down. QB passer rating 60 -Will be benchwarmer for rodgers after GB trade (3rd in qb depth chart) FINISHES 23 in our 14 week Yahoo league
3) Mitchell Trubisky – BEARS played 12 games replaced glennon week 5 . Week 14, he completed 25 of 32 passes for 271 yards and a touchdown to seal a 33–7 blowout win over the Cincinnati Bengals, snapping a five-game losing streak as well as posting a 112.4 passer rating. Ended his rookie season with a 4–8 record in 12 starts, seven touchdown passes, and seven interceptions-season passing yard total to 2,193 yds, the most by a rookie in Bears history. He also ran for 248 yards, the most by a Bears quarterback since Kordell Stewart in 2003.
1) Christian McCafferey – PANTHERS – Week 15, in a victory over the Green Bay Packers, McCaffrey brought his season total to 73 catches and five receiving touchdowns, being the only rookie running back in NFL history with at least 70 receptions and five touchdown catches before being joined by Alvin Kamara later in the season. The following week, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, McCaffrey brought his catch total to 75, breaking the Panthers rookie record of 74 set by Kelvin Benjamin. He finished his rookie season with 435 rushing yards, two rushing touchdowns, 80 receptions, 651 receiving yards, and five receiving touchdowns FINISHES 13 in our 14 week Yahoo league/ had most attempted passes so valuable for half point PPR league
2) Leonard Fournette – PANTHERS – Out week 7 with ankle injury, then bye week, then gets benched last moment for “violation of team rules” for week 9 bye. Not good for fantasy value, can wreck your week. Hopefully Fournette will put on his big boy boots this year and not get in it with his coach. Despite only playing 13 games, Fournette finished his rookie year with 1,040 yards, 302 receiving yards, and 10 total touchdowns FINISHES 8 in our 14 week Yahoo league
3) Dalvin Cook – VIKINGS – In his first NFL game against the New Orleans Saints, Cook set the Vikings’ rookie debut rushing record, previously held by Adrian Peterson by rushing for 127 yards on 22 carries. During week 4 against Lions tears his ACL out for the season. Verdict, clearly has skills will see what he can do 2018 – could be undervalued Fantasy player ?
1) Corey Davis – TITANS – Played 11 games. Battled a hamstring injury for much of the season, Davis finished his rookie year with 34 receptions for 375 yards – meh That being said he did score 2 TD’s in playoff loss to Pats – so mehbe this season ??
2) Mike Williams – CHARGERS – Plagued by injury concerns (herniated disk lower back) Didn’t play his first game till week 6. Finished season having played 10 games – 11 receptions 95 yards – wha wha wha
3) John Ross – BENGALS – Despite his record breaking 40 yd dash he was only listed as 6th WR in depth chart at beginning of season. Missed season opener to knee injury. Only played 3 games. Only one stat for season, 12 yd rush that was a lost fumble. mmmmmmmm…wha happend ???
1) OJ Howard – BUCS – started 14 games. Week 7, against Bills, he had a breakout game with six receptions for 98 yards and two touchdowns. Misses last 3 games due to injury. finishes with 26 receptions for 432 yards and six touchdowns FINISHES 16 in our 14 week Yahoo league – Looks to move up second year, however will be sharing TE spotlight with Brate in Tampa
UNDER THE RADAR
1) Alvin Kamara RB- SAINTS – selected in the third round (67th overall), the fifth running back selected. 728 yards rushing and 826 yards receiving was only the 11th 700/800 season by any NFL player in history. His rushing yards finished third among rookies behind Kareem Hunt and Leonard Fournette. He ended his season with 8 rushing TD’s. His 81 receptions on the season was second among running backs behind Le’Veon Bell, and his 826 receiving yards was highest among RB’s. He ended his season with 5 receiving TD’s FINISHES 3rd in our 14 week Yahoo league.
2) Kareem Hunt RB- CHIEFS – selected in the third round (86th overall), the sixth running back selected . Got to play due to Spencer Ware’s knee injury week three pre season. Despite fumbling his first pro carry he rocked his first game defeating the Pats in season opener. He finished the game with 246 total yards from scrimmage (148 rushing, 98 receiving), the most ever in an NFL debut. He ended the season with the most rushing yards (1327 yds) ahead of Gurley and Bell. FINISHES 4th in our 14 week Yahoo league.
3) Cooper Kupp WR- RAMS – selected in the third round (69th overall). First game, season opener against colts, recorded four receptions for 76-yards and a touchdown. He finished season with 62 receptions for 869 yards and five touchdowns. FINISHES 23rd in our 14 week Yahoo league.
4) Evan Engram TE- GIANTS – selected in first round (23rd overall) Engram was used extensively in the Giants passing attack and he ended the season with 108 targets and 722 receiving yards from his 496 snaps in route, all of which are the most ever recorded by a rookie player at the TE position. he dropped a total of 11 passes, which is also more than any other rookie tight end. FINISHES 5th in our 14 week Yahoo league.